Celebrating Moms and the Environment
Mother's Day - the day when we finally thank our mothers for all they do for us, is just around the corner! While thinking about the nurturing care of mothers, we couldn't help but reflect on the connection between mothers and nature. Nature, like mothers, is the giver and sustainer of life. Aptly referred to as Mother Nature, it provides us with the necessary resources to nourish our being.
Sadly, in the present times, we are facing various environmental issues as a result of growing negligence towards the creation. The extensive use of natural resources has increased the levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere, which has led to climate change. Unfortunately, the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions caused by the fashion industry are one of the major contributors to climate change. Research done by McKinsey & Company revealed that the fashion industry was responsible for 2.1 billion metric ton of greenhouse gas emissions in the year 2018, about 4% of the global total. In other words, the fashion sector emits the same amount of greenhouse gases as the entire economies of Germany, the United Kingdom, and France combined.
The GHG footprint of the fashion industry is alarming, and steps need to be taken to reverse it. Brands, retailers and consumers - everybody needs to participate to bring about a change in the fashion landscape.
What steps Blue Canoe is taking to preserve Mother Nature?
We at Blue Canoe, are contributing our bit towards reversing climate change by manufacturing ethical clothing.
- All our fabrics are plant based. We do not use petroleum derived fabrics such as polyester or nylon, which rely on oil and pollute the planet.
- We derive fabrics from cotton and bamboo plants, which are grown without the use of harmful chemicals and fertilizers.
- We use non-toxic dyes to protect plants, animals, people, and the planet.
- By growing organic cotton, we help saving water. Conventional cotton is one of the biggest perpetrators of water waste. Growing organic cotton helps us reduce our water consumption by as much as 91%.
How you can help as an individual?
- Shop clothes made from organic, plant fabrics
- Reduce consumption by shopping thoughtfully
- Avoid fast fashion and build yourself a capsule wardrobe
- Educate yourself and others about the devastating impacts of climate change
- Become a Science Mom (Science Mom is a nonpartisan group of climate scientists and mothers who are deeply concerned about their children's planet. The group aims to demystify climate science and motivate urgent action to protect the future of the next generation.
This Mother's Day, let us take a pledge to fight climate change and give Mother Nature the respect it deserves.
Blue Canoe. Wishing you a Happy Mother's Day!